Skip to main content

The Question I Don’t Want to Be Asked!

If you're a dentist, you speak English, right?

It is generally believed that dentists are educated well in dental colleges.

In Japan, yes. People think so.
I don't know how it is in other countries.

For now, I think a number of people consider dentists to be highly educated and capable of using English as a second language.

Umm, I’m all for it!
But at least, except me. :(




I am Naohiro Tsukamoto a dental practitioner in the countryside of Japan.

Almost all of the people who live in the neighborhood are Japanese.

However, sometimes foreigners come to my dental clinic for treatment.

Most of those patients are Vietnamese or Indonesians, and they do not speak English. On the other hand, I do not also speak Vietnamese or Indonesian.

They come to Japan as language students, wonderfully, they can speak Japanese well. They must have studied Japanese very hard. 

As a result, I did not experience any language difficulties during my treatment. All I had to do was speak Japanese as usual.

So far, it was good.

One day, an American patient who could only speak English come to my dental clinic. I was lucky. Coz he had an interpreter, so I could communicate with him.

Another day, a patient who could speak English and Korean came to my dental clinic for treatment. Luckily again for me, he had his wife with him as an interpreter.

Through these events, I came up with an idea. I must learn English as soon as possible, at least, I can communicate with patients who speak English and can’t speak Japanese. In other words, I decided that I had to get rid of my inferior English skills.

English is a tool. It is clear that If we don't use a tool, won't be able to use it. This is the reason why I’m not able to use and speak English yet.

From now on, I will post articles about my clinical dentistry. 
Hmm yes, I’d like to write an article which mentions dental treatment in Japan from a cultural perspective.

However, it will be made by my poor English.

I hope you'll support me.
Thank you very much. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sealer-Puff After the Root Canal Obturation, the Relationship Between Root Canal Irrigation

  The sealer-puff is a characteristic appearance of sealer overflow outside the apical foramen on the confirmatory dental photograph after root canal filling.  This is caused by a small amount of sealer overflowing outside the apical foramen when the dentists pressurize the area around the apical constriction to achieve a tight root canal filling. It is also caused by sealer penetrating the lateral branches of the apical-delta due to pressure at the apex. The sealer puff is, after all, an overflow of foreign material into the periapical tissue of the root apex. Of course, dentists must always try to prevent foreign material to overflow from the root apex into the apical periapical tissue. However, if we take into account the cause of sealer puffs, we can evaluate them from a different perspective. Sealer puffs are... The area around the root apex is properly cleaned and free of debris, ensuring the patency of the root canal. And Be caused by the application of a good flow of sealer to

Are Kurds Refugees?

  This article is not related to my usual dental practice. Recently, Kurds have been causing problems in Kawaguchi City, Saitama Prefecture, Japan. The Japanese mass media has not reported on this at all, but Japanese people who lived in Kawaguchi City have reported the situation vividly on Twitter. There is a growing sense of anxiety among the residents.  These Kurds have applied for refugee status in Japan, claiming that they are Turks, but they are persecuted in Turkey, so they have come to Japan as refugees and are asking for help. However, we know that they entered Japan as Turkish tourists and applied for refugee status as Kurds as soon as their tourist visas expired. By the way, about 600$ per month is provided from taxpayers' money as protection money. Generally, Japanese people do not discriminate against foreigners, but we do not like criminals who disrupt social security. The Japanese are equally averse to criminals, whether they are fellow countrymen or foreigners. I wo

How to Connect NITI Files to EMR for Real-Time Monitoring.

In root canal treatment, the concept of working length is of great importance. The length from the apex to the reference point is defined by the dentist, and he or she proceeds with the file manipulation at that length. …working length, reference point, rubber-stopper, I hate those!  This is because it is likely to be an inaccurate operation.  I believe that the hidden reason why not a few dentists dislike root canal treatment is because of these "troublesome analog rules" on endodontics.  In particular, I did not feel confident in manipulating the NiTi file as per the working length, relying on the rubber-stopper, and I felt very uncomfortable. I have always been frustrated that I wish I could manipulate the NiTi file while measuring its length in real-time with the EMR, just like the hand SS files. To link the NiTi file to the EMR, the shortcut to a solution is to have the EMR clip grasped by the NiTi file. However, this would make the NiTi file extremely difficult to handl